Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend Getaway




Last weekend I spent a few days in Virginia visiting my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. My husband hadn't seen his twin brother in almost two years, so this trip was long overdue! We took our youngest son with us and enjoyed three nights in Hampton. The boys spent part of Saturday visiting the Air and Space Museum. The three story building was a wonderland to my five year old. He went nuts running around the exhibits. The museum featured lots of interactive exhibits for kids of all ages. The simulators were the big hit. Since both his Father and Uncle are pilots, it's only natural Spencer is preparing for the future. He loves all aspects of aviation.

The next day we spent much of the morning touring Colonial Williamsburg. The historic town gives visitors a look at life in the 18th century. A single day ticket is $22.95.

But if you chose not to enter any of the museum exhibits you can tour Williamsburg for free. You can still tour the shops and taverns at no cost. I loved seeing the townspeople dressed in 18th century dress. Spencer also loved seeing the horses. We had to make sure that he petted every horse in Williamsburg, or the trip would have been a disaster-lol.

I minored in History in college so I was thrilled to visit Williamsburg. We visited in mid-January so we did not have to worry about big crowds. But my brother-in-law tells me that summer offers more exhibits, but crowds as well. If you would like to visit the area, I would recommend the historic Williamsburg Inn. (Pictured below)

I wish we could have spent more time with Glenn and Annie, but our short weekend was filled with fun and laughter. This was my first time to Virginia and I can't wait to go back. Next time we will visit Jamestown and soak up the sun on the beach.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you all were able to go. I loved it too,especially Jamestown. Next time we go I really hope to have more time to spend in both places.Oh and Yes the crowds were much worse in July.But it was all worth it!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. We plan to see Jamestown next time we visit. You'll have to show me your pictures some time!!!

    ReplyDelete