Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sundial Beach Resort

I spent most of my childhood summers on Sanibel Island, Florida. My parents were school teachers in Indiana and had summers off, so we would always drive down to Sanibel for a couple of weeks each year. I still have a fondness for Sanibel and wanted to share that with my children. Last month my husband and I packed up the car, kids and drove the three and a half hours down to Sanibel. We spent a week at the Sundial Beach Resort. When I booked the resort I asked for a first floor room near the main building. When I checked in there were no first floor rooms still available. At first I was not happy, but this turned out to be a blessing. When I saw our second floor condo I was very happy. We had an amazing ocean front condo. Had I been on the first floor all of the bushes would have blocked most of the ocean view. We chose the 2 bedroom condo. The master bedroom had a king sized bed and the second bedroom had two twin beds. There was also two family living areas which offered two pull out couches. The rooms were clean and there was daily maid service. We ate in the hotel's restaurant the first night and had a wonderful meal. I had the tuna steak and it was perfect. The kids' meals were all to their liking (chicken fingers & hot dogs). There are many wonderful restaurants on Sanibel Island, but we were too tired from packing, unpacking and driving to venture out for the night. The Sundial Beach Resort has 5 pools. We were in building K which is next to the main pool. The pool was huge and had a slide for the kids or kids at heart. We spent more time in the pool than on the beach. The resort does offer beach chairs and umbrellas. The beach is small, but nice. Plenty of great shells to collect. You can also rent bicycles by the day or week. We rented bikes for the entire week and rode most every night down to the Dairy Queen for dessert. Overall, I was very pleased with the resort. It was very family friendly. There was an arcade, a kids' club and daily planned activities. I look forward to our next family vacation to Sanibel and the Sundial Beach Resort.

No comments:

Post a Comment